Stash Financial, Inc.
Effective November 9, 2018
Description of Users and Acceptance of Terms
Information We Collect or Receive
In the course of operating the Platform and providing the Services, we collect or receive the following types of information:
1. Personal Information
When you register to become a Customer, you will be asked to provide us with certain information about you, such as, your name, date of birth, Tax ID number, citizenship, visa information, home address, telephone number, email address, bank account number, bank routing number, bank account login credentials, bank name, employer name, employment status, job position, whether you are a “politically exposed person,” whether you are a “control person” (pursuant to FINRA Rule 3210), annual income range, total net worth range, and other information as appropriate for our legitimate business needs (collectively and together with information referenced in Sections 2-6 below, the “Personal Information”). We may also collect Personal Information when you voluntarily provide us with Personal Information as a Visitor, such as when you use our “Contact” form.
2. Nonpublic Personal Information
3. Investment Style Information
4. Card and Bank Information
5. Transaction Information
6. Geolocational Information
Certain features and functionalities (such as the location service within the Stash Cash Back Program) of the Services are based on your location. In order to provide these features and functionalities while you are using a mobile device, we may, with your consent, automatically collect geolocational information from your mobile device, wireless carrier, or certain third-party service providers. Such information is collectively called the “Geolocational Information.” Collection of such Geolocational Information occurs only when the App is running on your mobile device. You may decline to allow us to collect such Geolocational Information, in which case Stash will not be able to provide certain features or functionalities to you.
7. Other Information.
We may automatically collect or receive additional information about you, your use of our Platform, your interactions with us and our advertising, as well as information regarding your computer or other devices used to access our Platform (collectively, the “Other Information”). Such Other Information may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- From Your Activity
- IP address, which may consist of a static or dynamic IP address and will sometimes point to a specific identifiable computer or device;
- Browser type and language;
- Referring and exit pages and URLs;
- Date and time; and
- Details regarding your activity on the Platform, such as search queries and other performance and usage data.
- About Your Device
- Type of device;
- Universally Unique Identifier (“UUID”);
- Advertising Identifier (“IDFA” or “AdID”);
- Operating system and version (e.g., iOS, Android or Windows);
- Wireless carrier; and
- Network type (WiFi, 3G, 4G, or LTE).
- From Cookies, Web Beacons, and Other Similar Tracking Techniques
- Third-Party Analytics
Information Collected by or Received from Third-Party Sources
We also have partnered with a third-party service provider, Empyr, Inc. (“Empyr”), which enables us to provide offers linked to your debit or credit card in connection with your use of the Service (the “Stash Cash Back Program”), as further described in the terms and conditions governing the card-linked offer element of our Services (the “Terms and Conditions of the Stash Cash Back Program”). You must opt in to access and use the Stash Cash Back Program by registering your eligible credit or debit card, sharing your payment information with us, and allowing us to share your payment information with our third-party service providers (including Empyr) and the payment card networks (e.g., Visa, Mastercard, American Express). Any such third party service provider enables us to provide the Stash Cash Back Program to you. In connection with your participation in the Stash Cash Back Program, we and such third-party service providers (including Empyr) will receive and collect card transaction data from the relevant payment card network (such transaction data, “Cash Back Data”) in connection with providing the services under the Stash Cash Back Program.
Information Collected by or Through Third-Party Advertising
How the Information is Used and Shared
You authorize us to use the Personal Information, the Third-Party Information, and the Other Information (collectively, the “Information”) to provide and improve our Platform and Services; to help us improve the content and functionality of our Platform and Services; to provide trade recommendations; to advise you about your portfolio; to solicit your feedback; and to inform you about our products and services and those of third parties.
You also authorize us to use and/or share Information as described below.
- We will access, use, and share the Information as required to fulfill our contractual obligations to you or subsequent requests for support by you.
- To track your purchases, match your purchases with the other Information we have about you and provide suggestions to you about potential trade recommendations, saving money, and other financial services and offers that we believe may help you.
- Stash, like many businesses, sometimes hires other companies to perform certain business-related functions on our behalf. Examples of such functions include website hosting, mailing information, maintaining databases, ID verification, processing applications, processing payments and completing transactions. When we employ another company to perform a function of this nature, we only provide it with the information that it needs to perform its specific function. These companies are authorized to use your Information only as necessary to provide these services to us.
- We may share some or all of your Information with any of our parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies that we control, are controlled by, or are under common control with us.
- If you sign up for a Stash Debit account, we will share Information with Green Dot Bank as needed for Green Dot Bank to deliver its services to you and for us to fulfill our contractual obligations to Green Dot Bank;
- As we develop our businesses, we might sell or buy businesses or assets. In the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, sale of assets, dissolution, or similar event, the Information may be part of the transferred assets and you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our Platform of any change in ownership or uses of your Personal Information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your Personal Information.
- In an ongoing effort to better understand our Customers, the Platform, the Services, and the products and services of Stash, we may analyze certain Information to compile information about our Customer demographics, interests and behaviors and to create data analytics on an aggregate basis. This aggregate information does not identify you personally. We may share this aggregate information with our affiliates, agents, business partners, and other third parties. We may also disclose aggregated user statistics in order to describe the Platform, the Services and our products and services to current and prospective business partners and investors and to other third parties for other lawful purposes.
- Stash may disclose your Information if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to (i) comply with a legal obligation, (ii) protect and defend the rights or property of Stash, (iii) act in urgent circumstances to protect the financial security of users of the Platform or the public against fraud or other harm, or (iv) protect against legal liability.
- Stash may from time to time enter into agreements with third parties, such as employers or affiliate membership groups, pursuant to which the third-party may pay a portion or all of the advisory fees of its employees or members, and may on occasion make direct or indirect contributions to the Stash account of its employees or members. This is generally implemented by distributed "promotional codes" that are sponsored by the employer or affiliate membership group. If you use the benefit provided by an employer or affiliate group, you consent to additional anonymized reporting with respect to the participation, contribution rates, engagement, etc., of the employees or members, and consent to personalized reporting (i.e., where you may be specifically identified) solely and exclusively to (x) confirm your use of Stash to your employer or affiliate membership group, and (y) if the employer or affiliate membership group makes a contribution to your Stash account, to confirm receipt of the specific amounts contributed. In addition, if the benefit the employer or affiliate group provides includes embedding the Stash experience in a broader experience hosted by the employer or affiliate, by using such benefit you consent to Stash embedding the Stash experience in the hosted experience, and understand that your Personal Information may be shared in order to implement the hosted experience.
- We may share your Information with third parties, including but not limited to third-party market research firms for analysis purposes and to help such third parties generate market research data for us which will not identify you personally. Such third parties will provide us market research data to help us better segment our customer base and understand what products and services would likely work best for our customers.
- We will use Cash Back Data to confirm a qualifying purchase or return to match transactions to confirm whether you qualify for a statement credit or a card-linked offer;
- We will share Cash Back Data with the participating merchant where a transaction occurred as needed for the merchant to confirm a specific transaction occurred or points or other promotions should be awarded -- for example, the date and amount of your purchase and the last 4 digits of your card number so the merchant can verify your purchase with its records if there is a missing or disputed transaction;
- We may provide participating merchants or third-party service providers aggregated and anonymized information relating specifically to linked card activity solely to allow participating merchants and third-party service providers to assess the results of their campaign;
- We will create a record of the Cash Back Data and thereafter maintain and use such data in connection with operating the Stash Cash Back Program;
- We may conduct analysis for the improvement and optimization of the Stash Cash Back Program; and
- We may provide information in order to respond to a request from a government authority or a payment organization involved in a transaction with you or a merchant.
You authorize the sharing, exchange and use of Cash Back Data described above and herein by and among Stash and our third-party service providers (including Empyr), applicable payment card networks and applicable merchants participating in the Stash Cash Back Program.
If you have consented to participate in our Stash Cash Back Program, please visit the Terms and Conditions of the Stash Cash Back Program on our Site (at www.stashinvest.com/disclosurelibrary) to learn more about the card linking and transaction eligibility in connection with the Stash Cash Back Program. If you would like to opt out of the Stash Cash Back Program and unlink your cards, please contact us at [email protected] or follow the steps below:
- Go to “My Cards”
- Select the card you would like to unlink from the Stash Cash Back Program
- Confirm you want to unlink the card
- You must repeat this process for every card you wish to unlink.
Unlinking your card from the Stash Cash Back Program will not affect your enrollment in any other services offered by Stash for which you may have separately and independently enrolled your card.
If you would otherwise like to opt-out of Stash’s sharing of your Information with affiliates and third parties, please contact us at [email protected]. We will use your Information for our internal business purposes, including but not limited to, creating user state modeling and comprehensive behavioral profiling.
Sharing of Your Information with Non-affiliated Third Parties
We will not share your Information with non-affiliated third parties that may use your Information to market to you, without obtaining your opt-in consent. For example, we may offer you with a product opportunity that requires us to share your Information with non-affiliated third parties that may use your Information to market to you. We will obtain your opt-in consent to such sharing of your Information when we present you with the terms of such offer.
If you have opted-in for this kind of sharing of your Information, then you may: (i) choose to opt-out of such sharing by contacting us at [email protected]; or (ii) request certain information regarding our disclosure of your Information to such non-affiliated third parties by contacting us at [email protected]. If you have signed up for a Stash Debit account, you will not be able to opt out of us sharing Information with Green Dot Bank, the provider of the Stash Debit account.
Accessing and Modifying Information
If you have provided us any Personal Information, you may access, review, and/or make changes, by making the changes in your registered account settings page, by emailing our Customer Support at [email protected] or by contacting us at the contact information listed below.
When you sign up for our Services or newsletter(s), we will send periodic emails to you regarding the Services or to tell you about services we believe will be of interest to you.
If at any time you wish not to receive any future newsletters or marketing communications or you wish to have your name deleted from our mailing lists, please following the unsubscribe instructions included in these emails or contact us at [email protected]. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to process such requests in a timely manner. Note however that as a user of the Services we and/or our custodian(s) will send you administrative and transactional communications that are reasonably necessary to provide the Services, such as billing, brokerage or service notifications and you cannot opt out of receiving such communications.
We may also deliver notifications to your phone or mobile device. You can disable these notifications by deleting the relevant service or by changing the settings on your mobile device.
By providing your phone number you expressly consent to Stash and/or its agents calling or texting you using an automated telephone dialing system and / or prerecorded messages, even if you incur charges for receiving such communications. For example, we may send you informational text messages to your mobile device in order to better service your account. You can revoke your consent to receiving informational text messages at any time by replying “STOP” or following any other instructions included in these text messages or you can contact us at [email protected].
How We Protect Your Information
The security of your information is important to us. When you enter sensitive information (such as bank account information) in our App, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). We and our custodian also use third-party ID verification to ensure our users’ true identities are validated.
We take commercially reasonable technical, administrative, and physical safeguards to protect information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Please understand, however, that no security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our databases or the databases of the third parties with which we may share such information, nor can we guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the Internet. In particular, email sent to us may not be secure, and you should therefore take special care in deciding what information you send to us via email. If you have any questions about security on our website, you can contact us at [email protected].
Retention of Your Information
We do not email you or send you other electronic communications to request nonpublic information or account information (such as username and password). If you receive an unsolicited email or other electronic communication that appears to be from Stash but you suspect it may be from some other source or fraudulent, please email us at [email protected].
Links to Other Websites and Integration of Third-Party Content
Federal Privacy Notice
Stash is required by federal law to provide consumers with information regarding our collection and sharing of nonpublic personal information. Please see our Privacy Notice for more information.
Stash does not monitor, recognize, or honor any opt-out or do not track mechanisms, including general web browser “Do Not Track” settings and/or signals.
Other Important Notices
The Platform and the Services are intended for natural persons who are citizens or other lawful residents of the United States and who are located in the United States. The Platform, the Services and their servers are controlled and operated in the United States. Please be aware that your Information may be transferred to, processed, maintained, and used on computers, servers, and systems located outside of your state, province, country, or other governmental jurisdiction where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your country of origin. If you are located outside the United States and choose to use the Platform and/or the Services, you do so at your own risk.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 1 (800) 205-5164